Pros and Cons of LED Headlights/Taillights
Here at Capistrano Mazda in San Juan Capistrano, CA, many of our Mazda vehicles come with LED headlights. As a result, many buyers ask if they’re worth it.
So, should you get LED headlights? Let’s take a look at the pros and cons of LEDs.
LED Headlights Benefits
There are numerous benefits to using LED bulbs for headlights and taillights that every car owner will notice. Here are some of the most notable examples:
- Efficiency – LEDs produce much less heat that a traditional bulb, meaning less energy is wasted via heat loss. The result is both higher brightness and longer lifespan.
- Brighter – As mentioned above, LEDs are more efficiently able to use energy. Usually, manufacturers and governing bodies rate LEDs the ballpark of 275% brighter than a halogen bulb.
- Lifespan – Heat is usually what kills a halogen headlight. And since LED headlights produce less heat, they last longer. About 10x times longer, actually. A high-quality LED headlight is rated for 10,000 hours, which would take the average driver 65 years to achieve.
- Durability – LED bulbs are much more durable than halogen ones. While this may now affect your vehicle, it is common for things like trucks to use LED lightbars where the bulbs are more exposed than they are within a headlight.
That’s quite a lot of good things! And trust us, there’s even more.
LED Headlights Drawbacks
You’ll notice that this section is much shorter. And that’s for good reason. LED headlights have way more pros than they do cons.
- Price – LEDs are more complex and thus cost more to produce. However, the longevity of an LED balances this out. An LED headlight may cost 3-5x more than a halogen bulb, but it’s also expected to last 10x as long as that halogen bulb.
For the average person, price is the only drawback of LED headlights and taillights. They cost more. But the LED is very much a case of quality over quantity.
Considering Getting a New Car?
If you’re looking to buy a new vehicle, then check out our new Mazda specials, where you can find discounts and deals on a new Mazda of your choice. If you find one you like, feel free to schedule a test drive!